Currently recruiting for an experienced Software Engineer on a permanent staff basis for an Oil and Gas company based in Aberdeen.
Reporting to the Senior Software Engineer, the Software Engineer will be responsible for the analysis, specification, design, implementation and test of embedded firmware and software within a world-leading subsea technology environment.
The Software Engineer will have the following main duties and responsibilities:
- Use expertise in C or C++ to support and develop the extensive existing code base.
- Bring to bear personal knowledge and experience in some of the following areas for on-going software development, in order to provide high quality, robust and reliable solutions:
- Operating systems: Desktop and Embedded Linux and Windows development, RTOS.
- Platforms: x86, PIC microcontrollers, DSP and ARM.
- Languages: C, C++, VHDL, scripting and database languages (Perl, Python, Ruby, SQL, Visual Basic).
- Technologies: TCP / IP, SCADA, MODBUS, Subsea acoustics, CDMA, DSP.
- Work competently with hardware to independently solve problems and propose new development.
- Communicate effectively with internal and external customers to assess requirements and specify appropriate solutions.
- Work closely with other departmental and company-wide teams to implement solutions.
- Liaise with external developers to ensure consistency in approach and adherence to best practices throughout the project lifecycle.
- Work to exacting customer and international standard requirements.
- Ensure that all software-related documentation is complete, current and complies with the company’s QA & version control procedures.
- Assist the management team in the preparation of estimates and bids for new work.
- Support the management team in handling the day-to-day activities of a busy engineering department.
- Participate in the Engineering “on call out of hours” rota system as required.
Experience / Qualifications:
- A Degree qualification in Electronic / Software Engineering, or a relevant Engineering discipline, is essential.
- Previous experience in a similar Software Engineer type role within the Oil and Gas Industry is essential.
- Experience of using C/C++ and Embedded Linux is essential.
- Experience of working with hardware is essential.
- Knowledge of scripting and database languages is essential.
- Digital Signal Processing experience is essential.
- Experience with Real Time Operating Systems is essential.
- Applicants will be expected to possess an understanding of electronics.